Start with the flavor of nutrient rich blueberry and zesty ginger, then add a bit of banana, one more power punch of antioxidant rich pomegranate and you’ll never know you’re getting your greens on. Unless of course remembering that you’ve got your greens in makes you happy. Then remember, rejoice, do a yoga move or two for good measure. Assemble this tasty treat up to three days ahead and blend on demand. Add yogurt and flax seed and you’ll have a complete breakfast in a jar.
Morning is not a time I like to make decisions. I also prefer avoiding sharp knives until the coffee kicks in. Especially when the sun isn’t even up and out yet. But while the coffee brews I can manage to pull out the immersion blender and scoop some yogurt. Breakfast in a jar and let the day begin. Hello sun, hello Monday, hello resolutions made easy. Hello 2015.
Make ahead morning smoothies with blueberry and ginger
Makes 3 10-12 ounce smoothies
16 ounce wide mouth canning jars with lids
An immersion blender
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (Trader Joe’s Wild Arboreal Blueberries are my favorite- no spray!)
- 1 TBS finely chopped fresh ginger root
- about 1 ½ cups chopped kale (spinach is good too)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (again, I use the Trader Joe’s brand)
- optional greek yogurt
- optional ground flax meal
- Divide all ingredients except optional greek yogurt and flax into three wide mouth mason jars. Put the banana on the bottom layer so that the pomegranate juice covers it.
- Cover jars and refrigerate until ready to blend.
- In the morning (or what ever time suits you) pull a jar out and blend together with an immersion blender.
- After the smoothie is combined enough that there is room in the jar add the optional ingredients if so desired (1-2 TBS greek yogurt, 1 tsp flax seed meal) and continue to blend to desired consistency.
- Can be re-covered and stored refrigerated for another 6 hours or so.