Deliciously boozy and buttery homemade orange caramel sauce takes hot chocolate to the dizzyingly sumptuous sip and sigh territory, the treat I’m willing to wade through winter for. And while I’m busy pushing the resolutions aside why not add whipped cream (spiked, of course, with even more caramel sauce)?
So this is Christmas Eve and what have I done? Not posted this yet despite having the photos ready for days. So now in between folds of the three batches of bread I’ve got going (over compensating, I think) here I am to wish you a happy holiday if that’s your thing. This year is bittersweet, so much to be thankful for, looking forward to time spent with friends and family and a big bowl of seafood chowder but missing my parents and those friends who left this mortal coil too soon. SO even if you’re only dreaming of a white Christmas I hope you take the time to snuggle up to whatever brings you joy: pets, people, books, or Netflix and have a cup of cocoa.
Boozy orange caramel sauce
Makes just under two cups of caramel, this isn’t super thick, it’s made to be pourable when cool, perfect in hot chocolate or whipped cream or on top of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter (unsalted or not, just adjust accordingly)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur – I used homemade blood orange, which was just barely sweetened, otherwise Grand Marnier tends to work best with dairy
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a two quart sauce man over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and the sauce begins to just simmer. Lower heat and cook for another five minutes, avoiding a full boil.
- Add the orange liqueur being careful to avoid hot splatters, stir to combine and let simmer for another few minutes. Add the heavy cream and cook until the caramel sauce just coats the spatula.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla stirring to combine
boozy orange caramel hot chocolate
makes 4 cups
- 4 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons dutch cocoa
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup orange caramel sauce
- in a medium sauce pan combine milk, cocoa, and sugar.
- Whisk until smooth and heat until just simmering.
- Add the caramel sauce and whisk until combined
- Serve hot topped with whipped cream and even more caramel sauce