No pots or pans required. This weekday blueberry vanilla oatmeal is made in one bowl in the microwave in five minutes-blueberries frozen or fresh, always fancy, always delicious
New year, the soft drumming of vague resolutions ringing in my ears, no time to fuss with fancy breakfast and a distinct craving for simple comfort. Enter oatmeal. No need for the usual toppings, it’s a new year, a new start. No need for a pot, just an oversized bowl and the microwave. Toss in some blueberries, a splash of sugar and vanilla and 2014 ready or not here I come. Insert dance moves and a cup of coffee here.
Five Minute Fancy Blueberry Vanilla Oatmeal
makes one serving
If you like cranberries instead try this oatmeal variation -don’t worry it’s even fancier
or if you want a weekend prep project why not make your own granola?
- 1/2 cup thick cut oats
- 1 cup water
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp sweetener sugar, honey, or agave-optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk-optional
- Combine water, oats, and salt in an oversize microwave safe bowl (You need enough space that there is no chance of the oats boiling over and gunning things up),
- Microwave for three minutes.
- Add blueberries, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Stir to combine and microwave for another two to three minutes.
- Top with milk and a dash of cinnamon.
- Conquer the new year.
My blueberry loyalties are torn. I’ve lived in both Maine and Oregon. Wild blueberries are flavor packed, scrappy- my winter choice now that I’m in Oregon. But come summer nothing beats a pint of fresh picked Oregon blueberries, impossibly fat and sweet and juicy.