I was hungry when I took these pictures. Breakfast had veered dangerously close to lunch. Hangry. Not thinking straight. Beneath that carefully placed egg is a delicate citrus infused patty made with quinoa and rice. It’s really the star of this show but I hid it underneath that egg. There were three more patties. Three more chances to take another picture but we ate them. Gobble gobble gone. And it was delicious and once the protein kicked in and I was thinking clearly again I lamented my decision but by then it was too late.
I added a bit of Labne Kefir Cheese to help hold things together but Greek yogurt or sour cream would also work here.
I went easy on the binder. I knew I wanted an egg on top so it seemed overkill to put more than one in the patties. The taste was spot on but they were delicate, definitely for forks only. We ended up adding a bit of Harissa on top (should’ve taken a picture with that too!) but go easy on the hot sauce, if you go that route, lest the other flavors get lost.
These could easily be made with all quinoa or all rice I just happened to have leftovers of both.
Lemon Quinoa-Rice Patties topped with a Fried Egg
- 1 firmly packed cup cooked quinoa
- 1 firmly packed cup cooked rice
- 1/3-1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tsp finely chopped lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 TBS Labne or Greek Yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp medium hot paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Throughly combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Form into four patties.
- Cook over medium heat in a well oiled pre-heated skillet or pan- about four minutes a side. Make sure you have plenty of room to flip these as they will try and fall apart on you. I used my 10 inch cast iron and cooked them up one at a time, reserving the cooked patties in a 250 degree oven until I was ready to serve.
- Top each patty with a fried egg and a squeeze of lemon. Serve hot.
OMG I just made this and I could at 100 more. So perfect and delicious. Thank you!
Thank you for visiting. I’m so glad you enjoyed these.