Remember that bread pudding with the rum butter sauce that was actually made from the glaze for a pound cake that unless you live here you do not remember?
Okay, well then do you remember the fresh cranberry relish? The one I spread on bagels? The one that made a wicked grilled cheese sandwich?
You see where I’m going with this? I combined leftovers from two different dinners and made breakfast. And it worked! I am full and happy.
The relish on it’s own would have been too citrusy- I like my oatmeal creamy. And just the butter sauce drizzled on top would have been too rich, this is breakfast after all. But combine the two and add a dusting of cinnamon and sweet morning satisfaction here I am.
- 1/2 cup thick cut oats
- 1 cup water
- a pinch of salt
- 3-5 TBS fresh cranberry relish
- Rum butter sauce to taste
- Combine water, oats, and salt in a microwave safe bowl with enough space that there is no chance of the oats boiling over and turning an easy breakfast into a pain the ass.
- Microwave for about five minutes.
- Add cranberry relish.
- Stir to just combine.
- Top with warm rum butter sauce and a dash of cinnamon.