This is the grownup slushy that I’m willing to wash the blender for. Refreshing, red, laced with a hint of orange blossom, and just a little bit boozy so, as long as you can manage to sip slowly, it’s the perfect hot afternoon yard beverage.
Campari Orange Slushy with triple sec and orange blossom water
Like black coffee and cilantro, you either like Campari or you don’t. No amount of bitter prose or forced feeding is going to convince you otherwise. I love all these things. For the Mr. it’s two out of three- so more Campari for me!
After years of bartending at a restaurant where blender drinks were the dreaded order: inevitably four different flavors in the middle of a rush, the whirr and clang that caused disapproving glances and temporary hearing loss, and so much washing I avoided frozen drinks for awhile. But every summer the urge gets stronger- it’s only May and I’m already two frozen beverages in.
Nothing is more refreshing on a sultry afternoon, and today is tipping towards 90F, than a slushy. And nothing says summer for me like Campari. Blend on!
Campari Orange Slushy Variations
- Sub out some or all of the ice for frozen strawberries or
- Add fresh strawberries to the mix
- Want more booze? Make a frozen negroni! (warning, this recipe does call for advance planning, pre-freezing the boozy bits)
- Want more booze and more beverage? Try this version of the Frozen Negroni with OJ
- Speaking of planning ahead…If you want to make a batch to share putting the boozy bits in the freezer at least 8 hours ahead will make a thicker colder drink more suited for a pitcher.
makes one 8 ounce drink, can be doubled or tripled or
- 2 ounces campari
- 1 ounce orange liqueur or triple sec of choice
- 1/4-1/2 ounce orange blossom water if you're easily overwhelmed by floral notes use 1/4 ounce or less
- 1 cup ice I like to combine everything in the glass I’m going to use and add the ice there, as pictured
combine it all together in a blender and blend until no chunks remain about 30 seconds (it feels like longer)
multiply as necessary
This is an excellent article from Bois De Jamin on all the possible uses for orange blossom water. I too use the Cortas brand.
Campari not your thing?
try one of these other frozen delights! When fresh cherries come on try a Cherry Amaretto Sidecar
or anytime the heat is on go for this variation on the Piña Colada