Do you really need a recipe for roasted spicy sweet potatoes? Maybe not. Let this serve as a reminder instead.
Sweet potatoes are awesome, sweet potatoes are easy, sweet potatoes are pretty and quick, and, even pretty quick.
And if you do want a recipe I’ve got one of those for you too.
I like a little heat to temper my sweet, especially with cilantro sauce which has a bit of vinegar and, of course, a lot of herbaceous green. The balance is a perfect foil with eggs for breakfast or to compliment dumplings or shrimp or rice.
I made these as part of a meal- if you’d like to try the whole thing
spicy sweet potatoes with cilantro sauce
spicy sweet potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon diamond kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- a pinch ground black pepper
- enough oil to lightly coat the sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro- you can include the stems but you’ll get a smoother sauce if you leave them out
- 2-3 scallions
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- a pinch of salt
make the cilantro sauce
- roughly chop the cilantro and scallions
- combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade
- process until smooth, scraping the bowl as neccessary
bake the sweet potatoes
- preheat oven to 450F
- peel and thinly slice (1/8th of an inch approximately) the sweet potato
- mix together salt and spices in a small bowl until combined
- coat the sweet potatoes with oil and then toss with salt mixture
- arrange potatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan or in a cast iron skillet
- bake until tender, this will vary depending on the thickness of the slices but approximately 15 minutes, flipping mid way for even browning.
- serve hot with cilantro sauce on side or dolloped on the top