Side dishes are my secret weapon. Pickled things, biscuity bites, sauces, and now- butter. Like this versatile and flavorful butter compound loaded with fresh basil and garlic.
ways to use the basil butter
- Use this basil butter as a spread for sandwiches, like the cucumber sandwich pictured below
- or schmear it on spring radishes like the french do. Or use the whole radish and forgo the basil entirely substituting radish greens instead.
- grilled cheese, pasta, grilled anything.
Looking for a sweet take on basil?
the strawberry basil smash cocktail with gin
a versatile spread that adds flavor to a variety of dishes
- 15 grams (about a cup of whole leaves loosely packed) fresh basil
- 5-15 grams fresh garlic about 1-5 small cloves
- 1 stick (¼ cup) softened unsalted butter cut into one inch pieces
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into a few pieces
- a pinch of salt optional
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade add the garlic cloves, pulse to roughly chop then add the basil leaves and pulse a few more times to just combine
add the butter and cream cheese and pulse until combined
taste and add salt if desired (or salt with each dish as appropriate)
to form the butter, line a dish with plastic wrap and press the softened butter compound into the dish, cover, and refrigerate until solid.