Side dishes are my secret weapon. Pickled things, biscuity bites, sauces, and now- butter. Like this versatile and flavorful butter compound loaded with fresh basil and garlic.
ways to use the basil butter
- Use this basil butter as a spread for sandwiches, like the cucumber sandwich pictured below
- or schmear it on spring radishes like the french do. Or use the whole radish and forgo the basil entirely substituting radish greens instead.
- grilled cheese, pasta, grilled anything.
Looking for a sweet take on basil?
the strawberry basil smash cocktail with gin
Fresh Basil Butter Compound
- 15 grams (about a cup of whole leaves loosely packed) fresh basil
- 5-15 grams fresh garlic about 1-5 small cloves
- 1 stick (¼ cup) softened unsalted butter cut into one inch pieces
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into a few pieces
- a pinch of salt optional
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade add the garlic cloves, pulse to roughly chop then add the basil leaves and pulse a few more times to just combine
- add the butter and cream cheese and pulse until combined
- taste and add salt if desired (or salt with each dish as appropriate)
- to form the butter, line a dish with plastic wrap and press the softened butter compound into the dish, cover, and refrigerate until solid.