A simple sort of salty snack, these seasoned oven roasted hazelnuts tossed with fresh or dried rosemary and just a hint of heat and salt are delicious anytime of day or the perfect accompaniment for a classic cocktail- like the gin martini pictured here.
Roasted Hazelnuts with Olive Oil and Rosemary
simple enough to make on a small scale these oven roasted hazelnuts seasoned with olive oil, rosemary, pepper flakes, and just a hint of Maldon sea salt are a delightful accompaniment for martinis and more
- salad spinner optional
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt use fine salt if tossing in with the olive oil use mason or finishing salt if adding at the end
- dried rosemary crumbled to taste, usually about a teaspoon per cup of nuts
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Depending on the amount of nuts (I’ll do a half batch if there are just two of us) either line a baking sheet (if you want for easier clean up) or just use a 12 inch cast iron skillet unlined.
- Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet or cast iron pan. Toast until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a minute
- Either place in a towel and rub or place in a salad spinner and spin to remove skins- it’s fine if the hazelnuts have a little bit of skin left
- Place in a bowl while still warm and toss with olive oil fine salt if using and rosemary.
- Put in serving bowl and top with malden of finishing salt if using
- Serve just warm or at room temperature
Tried this recipe?Mention @recipefiction or tag #recipefiction!
other salty snacks
Socca- chickpea flour flatbread
a naturally gluten free flatbread made in your cast iron with garbanzo bean flour. A snack on its own or as a base for pizza.click here for the recipe
Wally’s Sesame Crackers- vegan and gluten free click here for the recipe
Leave a Reply