The subtle spice of cardamon and clove play nice with a kick of brandy, and a not too sweet chocolate chaser. Best of all, on a hot summer evening- frozen. Chai Brandy Alexander cocktails are the dessert drink I can’t wait to share with a crowd.
When John Lennon was first introduced to the Brandy Alexander he fell head over heels, indulged to excess and ended up heckling The Smothers Brothers, punching a waitress (alleged), and getting Pam Grier into a spot of trouble too.
The chai helps you moderate. With all those extra layers of flavor- one eight ounce drink leaves me sated, like I had a treat, but a treat worth the cheat.
The only problem is you have to plan ahead and actually freeze some chai. Last year about this time I posted my dear friend Laurissa’s Chai recipe. Confession, I forgot about some of the popsicles tucked away in the back corner of the freezer and just rediscovered them last month. They survived the winter just fine. Still delicious and just in time for August. And just in time for this frozen chai brandy alexander.
tips, suggestions and the like for chai brandy alexander cocktails
- Like most drinks that mention the booze type in the title, think vodka martini or amaretto sour, the brandy alexander was originally just the alexander. It was made with gin. As much as I love gin I’m not quite willing to go there especially if using chai- no need to have chai spices battling it out with gin botanicals. But maybe a golden rum? Or even whiskey.
- Creme de Cacao? I made my own and I did it the quick and dirty way- no cacao nibs and a long soak but cocoa powder and a quick shake. The cocoa powder will settle and the mixture will need to be re-shook before each use but I don’t mind, it’s quick chocolate liqueur, made in an amount I might actually consume by Christmas. Yes, there are more dessert drinks in our future.
- You do not have to make your chai from scratch (though I recommend you put forth the effort at least once- an experience after which you will never do it again or never do without)
- The popsicles are a nice idea but I think I like the idea of them more than the actual practice. The drink I’ll make again is the blended version. Less clever but more delicious.
Frozen Chai Brandy Alexander Cocktail Recipe: with a quick DIY creme de cacao recipe
a cold refreshing sweet and slightly spiced dessert drink
- 1 ounce brandy of choice
- 1 ounce milk or half and half
- 1 ounce creme de cacao
- 4 ounces frozen chai tea
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup vodka or light rum
- 1/4 cup or to taste simple syrup
combine cocoa powder and a small amount of the booze in a sealable mason style jar
- form a paste
- add vanilla, remaining booze, and simple syrup
- shake to combine
- taste to see if it is sweet enough for you- add more unsweetened Cocoa powder
- if it’s too sweet add more simple syrup if it’s not sweet enough
- combine all ingredients and blend. I used a stick blender for one drink. Use a regular blender if multiplying for a crowd
You can store the DIY creme de cacao in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.