Before I even knew that biscuits and gravy existed there was creamed eggs on toast. White sauce, hard boiled eggs, buttery toast. Simple comfort food perfection, my mother’s childhood favorite passed down to me in soft gestures and self depreciating comments about white food and the midwest.
Unlike the Swedish Pancakes or Baked Custard, recipes shared and made for company, Creamed Eggs on toast was a guilty pleasure. Perhaps because each time my mother made it my father compared it to the chipped beef on toast AKA sh** on a shingle- that they served him when he was in the Marines. It was, my mother said, the one thing that her mother (who died long before I was born) made that she liked. And so creamed eggs on toast was what my mother made when she was just a little bit sad or overwhelmed, when she needed comfort.
I’d like to think she would approve of this version, an instagramable creamed eggs on toast, topped with soft boiled egg and bright green veggies. I like mine with enough mustard you know it’s in there and a generous sprinkle of Aleppo pepper. Other variations are listed below.
variations and additions for creamed eggs on toast
- top with chopped scallions or parsley
- add some crumbled bacon or diced ham or even corned beef
- deviled ham spread is another memory variation- turns out there are a lot of flavors not just devilied ham
- if using all hard boiled eggs reserve one or two of the yolks and crumble them over the top
Creamed Eggs on Toast
the basic recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg traditional or 1 teaspoon dijon or pub mustard (my favorite way)
- 2 hard boiled eggs – chopped plus one soft boiled egg cut in half (or three hard boiled if you prefer)
- 2-4 slices of toasted bread of choice
make the white sauce
- In a 10-12 inch skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour and nutmeg or mustard.
- When bubbly, add the milk a little at a time, whisking contantly to combine.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly.
add the eggs
- If your soft boiled egg is still warm add it at the end, if not I nestle it in the cream sauce whilst I toast the bread.
- Remove from heat and add chopped eggs, cover if heating soft boiled egg.
- Toast and butter slices of bread.
- Put toast on serving plates, assemble, and serve.