The history of the Margarita is muddled (something with such straight forward ingredients is bound to have been made in more than one place by more than one clever mixologist) so why not muddle your ingredients too?!
Just remember that just like the classic daiquiri this is less sweet than something made with a mix.
the three ingredient classic plus cucumber just to muddle things up
- 4 ounces tequila of choice silver would work best
- 2 ounces orange liqueur of choice I love cointreau but it's spendy, triple sec works too
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice or one medium juicy lime cut into quarters
- 4-6 slices peeled cucumber the skin can get bitter
- ice smaller cubes are better
if you are going to salt the rims, rub lime juice on the rim and allow to dry and get sticky for a minute or three before dipping in the salt mixture of choice (I like a blend of diamond kosher and coarser sea salt)
in a pint glass combine the cucumber slices, and lime wedges or juice muddle to begin crushing the fruit
add ice and liquers vigorously muddle until juice is extracted from limes and then cover and shake a few times
strain into two coup or martini glasses or, over fresh ice in a highball glass, if prefered
garnish with a slice of cucumber or a lime and serve