Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbs dark rum (or brandy or bourbon)
- Pour the heavy cream into a medium to large bowl, placing a fine mesh strainer over the top
- Combine milk, granulated sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan, heat to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Whisk about half of the warm milk into the yolks, stirring constantly.
- Scrape the warmed yolks back in to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. If using an instant-read thermometer, it should read between 160º-170ºF (71º-76ºC).
- Pour the mixture through the strainer into the heavy cream, whisk until cooled and well combined. Add pumpkin purée, brown sugar, vanilla, spices, and booze. Whisk or blend until throughly combined. Pour through the strainer one more time. (I like to pour the mixture into my eight cup measuring bowl, which has a spout)
- Chill thoroughly, at least four hours or, preferably, overnight.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- Allow to further set in the freezer for at least another four hours before scooping for profiteroles.