Do you muddle? Not the muddle through that is my day to day but the drink variety- the pressing of fruit, vegetable, or herb to release its essence. If you want a mocktail that is more than just a non-alcoholic drink the best way is to use classic cocktail techniques. Club soda with lime is not a mocktail, this mixture of spiced cider and muddled cucumber is.
why this mocktail works
the bitter notes from the cider’s addition of lemon and cinnamon are softened- cooled if you will- by the subtle flavor of the cucumber. It is a balance.
I first discovered the magical mixture of spicy citrus and cucumber when I developed this riff on a Paloma for seekout seltzer. It just works.
spiced apple cider cucumber mocktail
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber (about a fifth of a small cucumber)
- 3 ounces spiced apple cider (I used the Trader Joes brand)
- fizzy water to top
- muddle cucumber in a pint glass, top with the cider and stir to combine
- strain the mixture over ice in a 12 ounce glass
- top with unflavored fizzy water of choice, garnish if desired