Food Processor Flakey Pastry Crust / Pate Brisee
Makes one 12 inch round of crust, enough for most tarts or single crust pies. There maybe flakier crusts but usually this is flaky enough.
- food processor
- 1 cup about 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces- I toss mine in the freezer for a few minutes after I cut it into pieces. (3 1/2 ounces, 105 grams)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-7 tablespoons cold water
- Place flour, the butter,and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 seconds.
- Add the water and slowly pulse just until the pastry begins to hold together, about six to eight times. Do not let it form a ball.
- Turn the pastry out on to waxed paper or plastic wrap and flatten the dough into a circle. If the dough is excessively sticky, sprinkle it with several tablespoons of flour.
- Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- lightly dust a clean worksurface and roll out when ready to assemble your tart or pie